Friday, October 7, 2011

My old man

So this has been a rough week. I put my dog to sleep. His name was Hawthorne and he was 16 1/2 years old. I know these things are never easy having worked in veterinary medicine for many years, but I truly wanted him to just go in his sleep. I received him as a gift from my husband before we were married. He has been with me through my entire marriage up until this point. It seems corny but I feel like another safe thing in my life is gone. Somehow Hawthorne and my marriage are linked. He was a good dog. I never had to worry about him interacting with kids or other animals. I never worried about him running off. He was loyal, happy to just lie at my feet or follow me around. A true friend. Animals really do become part of our lives. When we came back from the vet's office my heart sank when I realized he wouldn't be waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment